Knuckles is one of the most iconic characters from the Sonic universe, but his species can be challenging to identify. In this blog post, we’ll take a deep dive into Knuckle’s history, biology, and pop culture significance.
What Animal is Knuckles?
Knuckles is an echidna! Echidnas are unusual egg-laying mammals found in Australia and New Guinea. They are one of only two surviving monotremes, mammals that lay eggs instead of giving live birth. The other surviving monotreme is the platypus.
Echidnas are covered in spines and have a long, slender snout and a small mouth. They use their snout to dig into the ground in search of food. Echidnas primarily eat ants and termites. They have huge brains for their body size compared to other animals.
Fictional Character Biography
Knuckles the Echidna first appeared in the 1994 video game Sonic the Hedgehog 3. Game designer Takashi Thomas Yuda created him. Knuckles serves as the protector of the Master Emerald on Angel Island. He has the unique ability to glide through the air thanks to his dreadlock-like spines.
Knuckles is the last surviving member of an ancient echidna tribe. He is much stronger than Sonic and can smash through obstacles using his spiked fists. However, he is often gullible and easily tricked by villain Dr. Eggman.
Throughout the Sonic games, Knuckles has become friends with Sonic and others. He helps them fight Dr Eggman and protect the Chaos Emeralds. However, he is still prone to being manipulated against his allies when Eggman deceives him.
Knuckles is independent, serious, and determined. He prefers being alone and can sometimes be aggressive. But deep down, he has a kind heart and will do anything to protect his homeland and friends.
As an echidna, Knuckles has several special skills and powers:
- Gliding – Knuckles can ride air currents and glide long distances using his dreadlock-like spines. This allows him to travel between platforms and reach high areas.
- Powerful digging – Knuckles can tunnel into nearly any surface with his large shovel-like claws. He uses this to find buried items or access underground areas.
- Wall climbing – Knuckles can cling to sheer surfaces and climb up walls and cliffs. His spiked fists allow him to grip even slippery surfaces.
- Super strength – Knuckles has incredible strength, able to smash boulders and metal objects with his bare fists. His spiked gloves make his punches even more powerful.
- Master Emerald skills – As guardian of the Master Emerald, Knuckles can harness its powers. He can use the emerald to teleport, control the seven Chaos Emeralds, and sense nearby dangers.
These special abilities make Knuckles a formidable ally and an unstoppable solo hero!
Significance in Pop Culture
Since his debut, Knuckles has become one of the most beloved and well-known characters in the Sonic universe. Some key facts about his pop culture significance:
- Appeared in dozens of Sonic games, comics, shows, and films – Knuckle’s is a staple in the Sonic franchise across all media types.
- Instantly recognizable design – His red fur and spiked gloves make Knuckles one of the most visually iconic Sonic characters.
- Brings appeal of mystery and magic – As the last of his ancient echidna tribe, Knuckles carries an air of mysticism and intrigue. The lore of the Master Emerald also fascinates fans.
- Provides rivalry for Sonic – Knuckles serves as both a friend and rival to Sonic. Their occasional clashes provide drama and conflict in the stories.
- Allows exploration of gullibility trope – Fans find Knuckles’ naivety and gullibility alternatively frustrating and endearing. It provides light-hearted humour.
- Increased popularity via memes – In the 2010s, Knuckles became the subject of numerous popular meme trends online. This introduced him to new generations.
Knuckles carved out a spot for himself as one of Sonic’s most beloved comrades and most famous pop culture animals thanks to his stand-out design, mystical backstory, and goofy personality. Now you know exactly what kind of creature this hot-headed hero really is!